Trained in the sciences and working professionally in the information technology field, I am largely a self-taught photographer that has been creating photographs for over three decades. In early 2008 I began Clayhaus Photography to push my photography to the "next level" which I define as developing more image portfolios, expanding as well as refining my photographic "voice," and working hard to exhibit and sell my photographic work.
Reflecting my many different personal interests, my photographic techniques and subjects are also diverse. Gothic cathedrals, still life, dusty mediaeval villages, modern architecture, abstract patterns of light and shadow, remote desert valleys, these and more are all parts of the varied canvas I photograph. I also utilize varying photographic techniques and tools including infrared photography and the panorama format.
Since starting Clayhaus Photography, I have had solo shows as well as been part of group gallery exhibits and have participated in a number of festivals and arts-and-crafts markets. I've also won a number of professionally-judged competitions/contests. I am currently exhibiting my work at the Local Colors of Utah Gallery.
In 2010, with a fellow photographer, I began Perfect Light Studios as a photographic service providing professional on-location portraiture, event, and wedding photography.
- On location shoot of menu items for local restaurant.
- Studio photography of food for advertising campaign.
- Outdoor and portable studio photography of families.
- Photographed a number of outdoor and indoor weddings with both film and digital. Included photojournalism style as well as classical wedding arrangements.
- Processed images to provide unique documents with B&W and other treatments.
- In-house photographer for small ad agency. Photographed products and directed models for brochure and ad copy.
- Sales of matted and framed prints to clients.
- Creation and sales of note cards, calendars, and self-published books.
WORK FOR NON-PROFITS:
- On-location photography, image processing, and printing as part of a nation-wide project to provide holiday photographs for disadvantaged families.
THE McGILLIS SCHOOL
- Classroom photography, image processing & printing of students as part of annual benefit.
FRIENDS OF THE GREAT SALT LAKE
- Photographed educational field trips with students and interested citizens.
- Provided images of the Great Salt Lake for use in educational pieces.
- Photographed 3-day international conference focused on saline water issues.
SIERRA CLUB – UTAH CHAPTER
- Provided images for use in newsletters.
- Manage Facebook presence.
- Provide images for use in recognition and notification pieces.
"Official" fund-raising events.
- Provide photographic services of staff and facilities.
- Developed and deployed new website focused on renewable energy for Utah (www.eutahproject.org)
THE WILDERNESS SOCIETY
- Provided photographic documentation of areas of Utah's West Desert as part of wilderness proposals.
- Photography, logo design and web development (www.booksinside.org) for this local start-up that provides used books to prison and jail inmates
RENEWABLE ENERGY RESOURCES
- Provide social media strategy and web development / maintenance for SLC-based NPO focused on providing education on sustainable energy efforts and technologies (www.rerslc.org)
WASATCH CAMERA CLUB
- Workshops Committee Chairperson for this local photography club.
LOCAL COLORS OF UTAH
- Provide in-house photography of gallery
- Developed and deployed new website www.localcolorsart.com
EXHIBITS, SHOWS, FESTIVALS AND AWARDS
2008 - 2011: Downtown (Salt Lake City) Art & Craft Market
- Booth during the summer months with direct sales of prints, cards and books
2009-2011: Wasatch Camera Club Professionally Juried Competitions
- Consistently win 1st, 2nd and/ or 3rd place in multiple categories in competitions
Feb-Mar 2010: Tanner's Frames
- Selections from In a Different Light solo show.
Feb-Mar 2010: Eccles Community Art Center Black & White Competition
- One selection from Sandstone and Sky accepted for this group show
Mar 2010: Westminster College Great Salt Lake Exhibit
- Invited to participate in Westminster College's exhibit celebrating the Great Salt Lake
Apr-Jun 2010: SLC Downtown Wine Store
- Selections from Sandstone and Sky and In a Different Light solo exhibit
Jul 2010: Park City Art Festival
- Invited to participate in the annual Kimball Junction Art Festival where I had a booth with direct sales of prints, cards and books
August 2010: Utah State Fair
- Submitted several B&W images and was awarded one-first place, one 2nd place, and a 3rd place
Sep 2010: SLC Photo Club Exhibit at Salt Lake Art Center
- Three images were part of a month-long exhibit at this gallery
Sep-Dec 2010: Salt City 50 Show
- Two images selected for a series of around-town exhibits
Nov 2010: Holladay Art Show
- Participated in 4 day show with several images from the Sandstone and Sky series
Nov-Dec 2010: Lamb's Restaurant
- Several images were part of a SLC Photo Club exhibit at this long-established restaurant
Apr-May 2011: Eccles Photography Exhibit
- Two B&W selections from my American Architecture project were accepted for this group show
Jun 2011: Ogden Art Festival
- Participated in 1 day annual festival
Aug 2010-Present: Artist in Residence, Local Colors of Utah Art Gallery
- Member of local artist cooperative with selection always on display
1328 East 700 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
Utah Artists Home Page